American Family Care
American Family Care (AFC) is a privately-owned Birmingham-based chain of primary healthcare facilities with 13 locations in the metro area and 300 total in 29 states. The company was founded by Bruce Irwin in 1982 when the first AFC clinic opened at 1680 Montgomery Highway in Hoover. The president is Randy Johansen. In 2015 AFC moved its corporate headquarters from leased space at 2147 Riverchase Office Road to a 30,000 square foot company-owned building at 3700 Cahaba Beach Road.
Irwin founded the company while working as an emergency room physician at Brookwood Medical Center. Irwin saw a need for clinics that could provide emergency care for non-critical medical issues more efficiently than hospital emergency rooms, but with more equipment on hand than a typical primary care pyhsician's office. American Family Care was one of the first clinics of its kind in the country. Over the next thirty years it expanded to 27 clinics in Alabama and Tennessee. Most clinics include an on-site U-Save Pharmacy.
In April 2013, American Family Care acquired Doctors Express (DRC), tripling its size overnight to 140 clinics in 26 states. It acquired the staffing agency Trinity Medical Contractors in May of the same year. In 2014 the company agreed to a $1.2 million settlement with prosecutors accusing it of routinely overbilling for services. That year American Family Care reported $72 million in revenues. By 2016 that figure had grown six-fold to $433 million.
In 2020 American Family Care purchased 18 clinics from franchisees in New England, expanding the company-owned portfolio to 225 clinics in 23 states. By the end of 2022 the company, with a reported $1.6 billion in annual revenues, had opened its 300th clinic and was expanding aggressively in Colorado, California, and the north Atlantic states.
- Alabaster: 120 Colonial Promenade Parkway
- Bessemer: 1007 9th Avenue North
- Fairfield: 6554 Aaron Aronov Drive
- Forestdale: 1664 Forestdale Boulevard
- Gardendale: 919 Odum Road
- Homewood: 2757 Green Springs Highway
- Hoover: 1680 Montgomery Highway
- Hoover: The Grove
- Huffman: 9772 Parkway East
- Irondale: 1848 Crestwood Boulevard
- Mountain Brook: 7 Office Park Circle
- Pelham: 2970 Pelham Parkway
- Trussville: 5892 Trussville Crossings Parkway
- Williams, Roy L. (February 20, 2011) "On the record: Bruce Irwin, founder and CEO of American Family Care, Inc." The Birmingham News
- Mylius, Bill (June 2013) "No Pain, No Gain". B-Metro. pp. 92-3
- Oliver, Mike (March 18, 2014) "Birmingham 'doc-in-the-box' chain hit with $1.2 million for over-charging on patient's bills." The Birmingham News
- Davis, Bryan (October 8, 2014) "American Family Care to move headquarters to former Cook Publications building." Birmingham Business Journal
- Patchen, Tyler (February 12, 2020) "American Family Care makes big acquisition in New England." Birmingham Business Journal
- Patchen, Tyler (October 29, 2021) "Bruce Irwin talks growth, future of American Family Care." Birmingham Business Journal
- Thrailkill, Laurel (September 30, 2022) "What's in Store for American Family Care." Birmingham Business Journal
- Thrailkill, Laurel (August 3, 2023) "American Family Care names successor to Bruce Irwin." Birmingham Business Journal
- American Family Care website