Baptist Hospital Nurses Home
The Baptist Hospital Nurses Home was a building constructed in 1945 at 1128 22nd Street South, across from the Highland Baptist Hospital. It housed nurses working at the hospital while enrolled at the Birmingham Baptist Hospital School of Nursing, which was founded at Highland Baptist in 1922.
The home for 100 nurses was designed by Charles H. McCauley, and was built of fire-proof construction with a steel frame structure and terra-cotta floors and roof tiles. The contractor was Day & Richardson. Funding for the project was obtained in part from the U.S. War Department as part of the War Public Works program. The $230,000 facility opened, debt-free, on November 1, 1945.
In renovating the building for offices in 1989, the dormitory wing at the rear was removed to make room for a 55-space parking lot accessed from Ireland Way. The remaining structure had 11,500 square feet of rentable space. The new windows had green-tinted glaas.
In 2017 the office building was purchased by 22nd Street Partners LLC, an affiliate of Daniel Corporation. The partners later acquired the adjacent Highland Plaza shopping center. In January 2023 the owners successfully applied to rezone the combined property for a 275-unit luxury apartment complex with a 373-space parking garage and a small retail component. The Birmingham Design Review Committee approved the demolition permit in October 2023.
- Cardiovascular Associates
- Eyster Properties (1995–)
- L. Kianoff & Associates
- Warren Averett Technology Group
- Boles, W. J. (September 10, 1944) "Active Postwar Market For Real Estate Looms" The Birmingham News, p. B-6
- "Baptists O.K. Hospital Plan (October 12, 1945) The Birmingham News, p. 1
- Godwin, Brent (July 31, 2017) "Prominent CRE firm buys Southside office building." Birmingham Business Journal
- Parker, Illyshia (October 26, 2023) "Demolition approved in Southside to make way for luxury apartments." Birmingham Business Journal