Bass House Museum
The Bass House Museum is a museum in the former Bass House, located in Leeds along Alabama State Highway 119. Now owned by the Leeds Historical Society, this serves as a museum exploring the history of the community.
The home was originally built by Jonathan Bass between 1863 and 1865 as a two-room, "dog-trot" farmhouse. He added onto it in the 1870s to accommodate his family, which had 9 children. Further alterations were made in the early 20th century.
The house was kept in the Bass family from its initial construction through 1996 when Thomas Bass died, and ownership was granted to the Bold Springs Presbyterian Church. In 2003 the Leeds Historical Society purchased the property to be utilized as a museum.
The $125,000 restoration was complete by October 2006. On November 4 of that year it was formally opened to the public. The museum included a wide array of period furniture and decor in addition to various exhibits paying tribute to some of the communities most famous residents. These residents include Leroy Miller Jr., Bobby Thomason, Harry Walker and Charles Barkley. An exhibit about Leeds' possible connection with the legend of John Henry is also included at the museum.
In July 2008 the house was added to the National Register of Historic Places. It is also listed on the register of the Jefferson County Historical Preservation Commission and in the register of Alabama Landmarks and Heritage.
- Thornton, William. (October 4, 2006) "Bass House Museum to open Nov. 4." Birmingham News
- Thornton, William. (November 8, 2006) "Residents get first glance at new Bass House Museum." Birmingham News
- Hickerson, Patrick (July 30, 2008) "Jonathan Bass House Museum in Leeds placed on National Register." Birmingham News