Berney Brothers Block

From Bhamwiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article is about the 1887 building in Bessemer. For the 1885 building in Birmingham, see Berney Bank building.
1889 rendering of the Berney Brothers Block

The Berney Brothers Block, located at 19th Street North and 2nd Avenue North in downtown Bessemer, was built in 1887 for the Berney Bank of Bessemer, founded by William and Chollet Berney. William had earlier founded the Berney National Bank of Birmingham and went on to serve as president of the Bessemer Land & Improvement Company.

The building was designed by Swedish architect Gustavus Torgeson who served as supervising architect for the New Orleans World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exhibition of 1884. The architect kept his residence in the corner structure through 1888 and remained in Bessemer a few more years. The three-story brick building features a corner entrance and a short mansard roof. A tall corner turret and attic-level gables have been removed. A brick pier has been added to help support the corner. A commercial row extending the block up 2nd Avenue to the northeast has since been demolished.

The Berney Brothers building in February 2010

In 2006 the building was renovated for Tippi's Deli and Bakery, which moved from a location near the Bessemer Public Library. In 2010 the building reopened as Courtyard Cafe and Bakery. It currently houses a Sneaky Pete's hot dog stand.