Clifford Leroy Hare (born 1869 in Oak Bowery, Lee County; died 1948) was a member of Auburn University’s first football team who went onto become a professor and dean of the School of Chemistry, and chair of the Auburn Faculty Athletic Committee.
Hare enrolled at the Alabama Polytechnic Institute in 1888, earning a bachelor of science in 1891 and a master of science in 1892. He went on to complete additional master's degrees at the University of Chicago and the University of Michigan.
Upon returning to Auburn as a professor of chemistry, Hare immediately involved himself in the improvement of athletic programs at the college. He oversaw scheduling and operation of the baseball team, and helped design a golf course.
Hare was also a civic leader, helping lead a group of citizens that established a local medical clinic. In 1917 he was elected to the Auburn City Council, and filled in as interim-Mayor in 1919. He also served on the board of directors for the Bank of Auburn.
Hare participated in the drafting of eligibility rules for the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association in 1906 and served as president of the Southern Conference in 1932. That same year he was appointed Alabama State Chemist by Governor Benjamin Miller.
- "Cliff Hare (August 14, 2014) Wikipedia - accessed November 25, 2014