East End Baptist Church

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

East End Baptist Church is a predominantly African American congregation founded in 1919 under the Reverend G. G. Austin. In 1947 it erected its current classical brick building 2609 Sixth Avenue South under the Reverend C. J. Evans. From 1958 to 1974 it was led by the Reverend Calvin Woods and played a prominent role in the Civil Rights Movement. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.

External Sites

East End Baptist Church website

References