Edgewood Service Center
The Edgewood Service Center was an automobile service station at 1017 Oxmoor Road in Homewood's Edgewood commercial district. The first service station opened on the 0.55 acre parcel in the 1940s. In addition to repairs, the station sold Shell gasoline. C. G. Pettus Jr, took over the business in the 1980s.
The service station was replaced with a new 5,000 square-foot building in 1972 and a one-story office was added in the late 1970s. In 1984 the station's gas pumps were removed, and the underground tanks, which dated to 1970, were excavated and filled in in 1988.
That building was damaged during construction of Dawson Memorial Baptist Church's parking garage on an adjacent site in 2000. The contractor paid for repairs to the service center, including a second-floor office space and a redesigned front facade in textured concrete block.
In 2016 Shannon Waltchack Commercial Real Estate purchased the property from owner Carolyn Pettus and began recruiting retail tenants for the Edgewood Station strip shopping center in the remodeled building. In early 2017 they announced that Mason Dixon Bakery, Three15 exercise studio, and BarTaco would lease the three spaces.
- Cromwell, Sidney (February 19, 2016) "Edgewood Service Center under contract with commercial real estate firm." The Homewood Star
- Bullock Environmental LLC (March 3, 2016) "Voluntary Property Assessment Report and Clean-Up Plan: Edgewood Service Center Property". Via Alabama Department of Environmental Management (link)