Synovus is a Columbus, Georgia-based financial services company with major operations, including the Synovus Mortgage Corp. and several corporate banking and investment banking professionals, based in Birmingham under Nelson Bean, who heads the company's Alabama and Tennessee operations.
The Birmingham operations were founded as First Commercial Bank in 1985 by Richard Anthony and John Oliver Jr, with a base capitalization of $11.5 million. Its first offices were in the Title Building at 2024 3rd Avenue North.
The bank expanded to 14 area offices, employing 240 people and managing assets of nearly $2 billion, representing approximately 6% of the Birmingham banking market. They continued to operate under the "First Commercial" nameplate after the bank was acquired by Synovus in 1992. The entire network rebranded as "Synovus" in 2018.
Birmingham area offices
- Synovus Center, 800 Shades Creek Parkway
- 237 20th Street South, 20 Midtown
- 550 [[Montgomery Highway (Vestavia Hills])|Montgomery Highway]], Vestavia Hills
- 77 Church Street, Mountain Brook
- 2222 Woodcrest Place, Redmont Park
- 5290 Preserve Parkway, Hoover
- 102 Inverness Corners, Hoover
- 2304 Pelham Parkway, Pelham
- 109 South Chalkville Road, Trussville
- 2123 U.S. Highway 78, Dora
- Sepsas, Nikki (August 2006) "Solutions in a Complex World" Savvy Business. Birmingham Magazine. Vol. 46, No. 8
- Coker, Angel (May 2, 2018) "First Commercial to transition to Synovus branding." Birmingham Business Journal
- O'Leary, A. J. (January 3, 2023) "Synovus to open two new locations in Birmingham." Birmingham Business Journal
- Synovus website