The Synovus Center (formerly the Southern Company Services Building and First Commercial Bank Building) is an eight-story, 250,000-square-foot commercial office building located at 800 Shades Creek Parkway. It is currently the Alabama divisional headquarters for the Columbus, Georgia-based Synovus financial services company.
The building was constructed in 1974 for Southern Company Services. Though designed by the architecture firm of Warren, Knight & Davis, the structure was considered unattractive enough to earn an "Onion" award from AIA Birmingham, in contrast to the "Orchid" awarded to the nearby Southern Progress Headquarters, completed the same year.
With the bank signed on as lead tenant, the building was renovated for $11 million by Sloss Development Group and Brookmont Realty in 1997. The design by Giattina Fisher Aycock reconfigured the footprint of the building with the addition of a full-height, glazed "shard". The base of the building was clad in rough gray granite with dark red textured brick above. The penthouse floor was given a deep overhanging roof line to emphasize the roof. B. L. Harbert International was general contractor, with Masonry Arts as subcontractor for the exterior cladding. The project won an Honor Award and a Design Award from AIA Alabama.
- Dixon Hughes Goodman (2017-)
- First Commercial Bank/Synovus (1997-)
- Southern Veterinary Partners (2017-)
- "One Big Before/After" (Fall/Winter 1996) Design Alabama. Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 14-15
- Godwin, Brent (November 16, 2017) "One of Bham's largest accounting firms moving offices." Birmingham Business JournalLink title
- First Commercial Bank Building at Brookmont Realty