Graves Shale Brick Company

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Graves Shale Brick Company was a manufacturer of building and paving bricks founded by attorney and real estate developer William Graves in 1901.

Graves began investing in brick manufacture to supply his own speculative buildings projects, such as the Graves Building. He soon became a supplier to the City of Birmingham's street paving department, organizing a separate Graves-Matthews Paving Company with his son-in-law, H. S. Matthews. The companies were merged before they both closed around 1920.