Happy John Bollas

From Bhamwiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

John Bollas', Happy John Bollas Barbecue Parlor or Happy John Bollas Restaurant and Sea Food House was a 24-hour barbecue restaurant and drive-in owned by John Bollas from the late 1920s through the 1960s.

"Barbecue Parlor No. 1" was located at 2317–2319 5th Avenue North and "Barbecue Parlor No. 2" was at 500 18th Street North, on the former site of Central Presbyterian Church.

In advertisements, Bollas proclaimed himself "The king of old-fashion cracklin' corn bread and Mexican chili."

In the early 1930s, the restaurant sponsored an Industrial League baseball team which played against teams from Dallas Mills, Avondale Mills, Wilson Dam, and the Southern Railway's teams from Sheffield and Chattanooga.

The restaurant was formally incorporated on March 29, 1934 with Bollas, Nicholas Mitchell and Peter Jebeles as officers. In 1935, while statewide prohibition was still in effect, the Anniston Star noted that the barbecue stand was "frequently raided for beer."


  • The Anniston Star (September 13, 1935)