Home Builders Blitz
Home Builders Blitz is a project of Birmingham Habitat for Humanity and the Greater Birmingham Association of Homebuilders to bring several builders together construct several houses in one area during a single week. Similar projects are carried out nationwide by Habitat, inspired by the suggestion of a builder in Raleigh, North Carolina.
The 2009 Home Builders Blitz took place on a site on Brownlee Street in unincorporated Jefferson County just south of Fultondale. 10 houses were constructed by AGH Homes, Authentic Building Company, the Greater Birmingham Association of Homebuilders Women's Council, Bluestone Building, Habitat Birmingham, Harris & Doyle Homes, Haven Homes, HPH Homes, Signature Homes, Structures Inc. and Taylor Burton Co..
The 2008 Home Builders Blitz took place on the site of the former Butler Elementary School at 3rd Avenue South and 48th Street. 10 houses were constructed by Adams Homes, Authentic Building Company, the Greater Birmingham Association of Homebuilders Women's Council, Habitat Birmingham, HPH Homes, J. Harris, Newcastle Construction, Signature Homes, Southscape Homes and Sterling Companies.
Mayor Bernard Kincaid, County Commissioner Bettye Fine Collins and other officials were on hand at the opening prayer on Monday and at the handing over of the keys on Saturday. House plans were provided by Rogers Design. Corporate sponsors provided food and refreshment for workers. Entertainment during the dedication ceremony was provided by Four Days Late.
- Cornelius Johnson residence (Signature Homes)
- Richelle Crawford residence (AnaDon Building Company)
- Shante Coach residence (Indianwood Building Company)
- Shikim Arnold residence (Wood & Hastings Construction)
- Michael King residence (Authentic Building Company)
- Carolyn Young residence (Gibson & Anderson Construction)
- Helen Watters residence (Newcastle Construction)
- Pam Tyler residence (HPH Homes)
- "Home Blitz 2006 (September 2006) Parade of Homes Special Promotional Section. Birmingham Magazine. Vol. 46, No. 9, p. 260-262
- Hansen, Jeff (June 1, 2008) "Habitat for Humanity begins third Birmingham blitz." Birmingham News
- Hansen, Jeff and Toraine Norris (May 30, 2009) "Homebuilders begin blitz to build 10 homes in one week for Habitat for Humanity." Birmingham News
- Shelton, Lindsey (June 7, 2010) "Habitat for Humanity's Greater Birmingham Blitz scrambles to build 9 houses in a week." Birmingham News