The building was constructed in 1925 for the Jefferson County Building & Loan Association, which was headed by F. M. Jackson. The brick-and-stone design by architect Charles McCauley complemented the nearby Massey Building, completed in 1920. The construction cost was $400,000. McCauley moved his offices into the building.
In 1959 the Jefferson Federal Savings & Loan, successor to Jackson's firm, hired McCauley's firm to update the building and part of the adjacent Jemison Building in a clean, modern style. The redesign included large slabs of dark Texas granite and white Alabama marble.
- "Birmingham's 1925 Growth Record" (December 1925) Birmingham magazine. Vol. 1, No. 9. p. 9
- White, Marjorie Longenecker (1977) Downtown Birmingham: Architectural and Historical Walking Tour Guide. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society.