Jefferson County Courthouse (1875)
- This article is about the 1875 courthouse. For others, see Jefferson County Courthouse (disambiguation).
The fourth Jefferson County Courthouse was a large brick and stone building erected in to house the offices and courts of Jefferson County after the 1873 referendum which resulted in the relocation of the county's seat of government to Birmingham from Elyton.
The courthouse was built on the corner of 21st Street and 3rd Avenue North with a county jail adjoining it to the north. The total construction cost was $50,000. Completion was delayed by problems with the foundations and the courts met temporarily at Sublett Hall before the new building was completed in 1875.
- Cruikshank, George H. (1920) History of Birmingham and Its Environs: A Narrative Account of Their Historical Progress, Their People, and Their Principal Interests 2 volumes. Chicago, Illinois: Lewis Publishing Company. - via Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections