Dunaway joined WVTM (NBC 13) as a sports anchor in 2000. He filled in successfully as a news reporter during Hurricane Ivan and was moved to morning and mid-day news anchor, along with Gina Redmond, on July 18, 2005. The pair took over those slots from Ken Lass and Wendy Garner.
Dunaway moved at WIAT (CBS 42) on June 30, 2008, replacing Herb Winches, who remained employed at WIAT in other capacities. Dunaway took the place of Trent Butler alongside Sherri Jackson in 2015. He left the anchor desk in May 2018.
Dunaway was also the voice of the Birmingham Thunderbolts and co-host since 2007 of the Dunaway & Brown sports talk show on WJOX. That show became the "JOX Roundtable" with the addition of Lance Taylor, Sean "Rockstar" Heninger and John SaBerre. In 2021 Dunaway, Brown, Taylor and Heninger left WJOX.
- Carlton, Bob (July 10, 2005) "Former Pittsburgh anchor Gina Redmond joins NBC 13." The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bob (June 23, 2008) "Dunaway will be sports anchor at CBS 42." The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bob (May 11, 2015) "Birmingham sportscaster Jim Dunaway moves to the news desk at CBS 42." The Birmingham News
- Gray, Jeremy (May 23, 2018) "Jim Dunaway leaving CBS 42 anchor desk on Wednesday." The Birmingham News
- Heim, Mark (June 18, 2021) "Ryan Brown, Lance Taylor, Jim Dunaway, Sean Heninger leave WJOX to start digital platform." The Birmingham News