Mancha's was a Mexican restaurant located at 1207 20th Street South in the Shepherd-Sloss Building at Five Points South. It was founded about 1963 by John Mancha, the son of Bruno Mancha, a Mexican immigrant who started selling tamales from pushcarts in Birmingham in 1929.
Though best known for its home made tamales and "killer whale" chili-topped burritos, Mancha's is also remembered for its "Wimp", "Nuclear" (jalapeño), and "Agent Orange" (habanero) hot sauces. The latter sauce was pioneered by Mancha's around 1980 after Carl first tasted a habañero in Belize. They started growing them for the restaurant before turning to local organic farmers.
The interior was decorated with trophy boar and elk heads.
|1207 20th Street South
Curry in a Hurry
- Swagler, Susan (May 9, 1996) "Mancha's his hot spot in more ways than one with Mexican fare." The Birmingham News
- Williams, Daniel D. (April 22, 1997) "Mancha s curbs appetites with "killer"Mexican food." Kaleidoscope Vol. 68, No. 5, p. 8
- Reynolds, Ed (June 1997) "Birmingham After Dark" Birmingham magazine.
- Velasco, Eric (November 29, 2009) "With turkey past, once again it's time for holiday tamales." The Birmingham News