Medical Alumni Building
The Medical Alumni Building (formerly Brown-Service Funeral Home) is a two-story, 10,500 square-foot art-deco style concrete building located at 811 20th Street South. It was designed by architect David O. Whilldin and constructed in 1936 for Brown-Service Funeral Homes. The building has a symmetrical facade punctuated by two windows and a central door. The ornamental roofline largely masks the hipped tile roof beyond.
In 1981 the building was purchased by the University of Alabama Medical Alumni Association. After a year of renovations, the association moved in, becoming the only medical alumni organization in the United States to own a freestanding building. In addition to its own offices the building housed the Caduceus Club, an alumni library, and meeting and banqueting rooms for alumni events. The Association stopped using the building before 2014.
That year The Rose Law Firm purchased the building for $930,000 and renovated it for their offices.
- Adams, Cathy (February 2008) "Heralds of History: The story behind those historical markers." Portico Magazine. pp. 26-9
- Davis, Bryan (September 8, 2014) "Law firm buys UA Medical Alumni Association building." Birmingham Business Journal
- Medical Alumni Building at uab.edu