- This article is about the cinema on 2nd Avenue North downtown. For the cinema on 18th Street South in Homewood, see Homewood Theatre (cinema).
Royal Theatre in the late 1940s or early 1950s
The Royal Theatre was a small cinema located at 2014-2016 2nd Avenue North from the 1910s to 1951. It was the first of several theaters acquired by Marvin Wise before his early death in 1925.
Through its life, the Royal specialized in screening "B" grade Westerns. Its role was rendered obsolete by the emergence of television in the Birmingham market.
After the theater closed, the building was converted into a Morrison's Cafeteria, and later demolished for construction of Birmingham Parking Authority Deck 6.