Sloss Furnace Company
The Sloss Furnace Company was founded by Colonel James Withers Sloss in 1881. The company's first furnace, at the eastern end of downtown Birmingham's "Railroad Reservation", began pouring iron on April 18, 1882 and was to be in continuous operation for the next 90 years. Those original furnace exists today as Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark.
In 1885 the company named changed to Sloss Iron & Steel Company which became Sloss-Sheffield Steel & Iron Company in 1902. Sloss's North Birmingham plant, which consisted of Sloss Furnace No. 3 and Sloss Furnace No. 4, was constructed between 1887 and 1889 along Huntsville Road north of Village Creek.
In 1952 the company merged with U.S. Pipe which acquired the original furnace, coal mines, coke making, and slag wool operations. U.S. Pipe continued to operate the furnace until 1971 when it was shut down and donated to the city of Birmingham.
|Events||Magic City Brewfest · Preserve Jazz Festival · Sloss Fright Furnace · Stokin' the Fire BBQ Festival|
|Exhibits||Engine No. 4018 · Sloss Quarters|
|Owners||Sloss Furnace Company · Sloss Iron & Steel Company · Sloss-Sheffield Steel & Iron Company · U.S. Pipe · Jim Walter Corporation|
|People||Joseph Johnston · Theophilus Jowers (The Ghost in Sloss Furnaces) · Hugh Morrow · James Sloss|
|Programs||Sloss Metal Arts · Sloss Performing Arts Program|