St John's Methodist Church
St John's Methodist Episcopal Church (South) was a Methodist church founded in Southside in November 1884. The congregation had 18 charter members, but grew to more than 500 within two years. The first church building was completed in 1885 on the northwest corner of 17th Street and Avenue E. By 1918 it had moved to the northwest corner of 20th Street and 8th Avenue South. That building was demolished in 1946 for the Jefferson County Public Health Building. UAB's McCallum Basic Health Science Building now stands on that site.
- Cruikshank, George H. (1920) History of Birmingham and Its Environs: A Narrative Account of Their Historical Progress, Their People, and Their Principal Interests 2 volumes. Chicago, Illinois: Lewis Publishing Company. - via Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections