- This article is about the tire service business founded in 1948. For an earlier business, see Tire Engineers (20th Street South).
Tire Engineers began as an open-air tire service business, established on March 9, 1948 by Johnny Johnston. The business expanded at its original 3200 6th Avenue South location in Lakeview, and added six other locations in the Birmingham area as it passed to Johnston's sons and grandsons.
The Johnston family sold the business to Express Oil in 2013. After the acquisition Express Oil began co-branding some of its locations. Fred Johnston, son of founder Johnny Johnston, and Fred's son, Michael, continue to operate the seven Tire Engineers locations for Express Oil. Fred's other son, Howie, joined Express Oil corporate to assist with tire strategy and inventory control.
- 3200 6th Avenue South, Lakeview
- 215 Green Springs Highway
- 3428 U. S. Highway 31, Pelham
- 1879 Gadsden Highway, Trussville
- 1701 19th Street North, Bessemer
- 730 Old Grants Mill Road, Irondale
- 4750 U. S. Highway 280
- Diel, Stan. (February 20, 2013). "Birmingham's Express Oil acquires Tire Engineers." The Birmingham News.
- Schertz, William. (February 3, 2014). "Express Oil going full tilt with tires." Tire Business.
- Tire Engineers website