2001 Birmingham City Council election
The 2001 Birmingham City Council election was held on October 9, 2001 with all nine City Council districts on the ballot.
A redistricting plan accepted by the Justice Department prior to the election moved many of the commercial districts of Southside from District 3 to District 5.
The result of the election, which produced a council with a collective one year of experience, was taken as a show of support for first-term Mayor Bernard Kincaid who had been involved in a long feud with the prior City Council. The new slate of representatives, however, did not enjoy a significantly improved relationship with the mayor.
- District 1: Joel Montgomery
- District 2: Carol Reynolds
- District 3: Valerie Abbott defeated Bob Friedman
- District 4: Gwen Sykes
- District 5: Elias Hendricks defeated William Bell
- District 6: Carole Smitherman defeated John Harris
- District 7: Bert Miller
- District 8: Lee Loder
- District 9: Roderick Royal