Alabama Farmers Market

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Farmers Market sign

The Alabama Farmers Market is a farmers market located on property owned and managed by the Jefferson County Truck Growers Association on Southern Railway's former Finley Yard site at 344 Finley Avenue West in Birmingham's Acipco-Finley neighborhood.

The Association was chartered in 1921 and has operated at six locations since then. It closed its 1st Avenue North location on July 21, 1956 and re-opened on 25 acres of its present 49-acre site on July 23, 1956.

Brothers Milton and Frank House joined with Bob Wright to operate the market as the Farm House Produce Company in 1957. Milton bought out his brothers early on and ran the operation with his son Mark until turning it over to him. Mark sold the company to his cousin DeWayne House in 2001.

References

  • Kemp, Kathy (July 6, 2008) "Original farmers market in Birmingham hasn't changed much since 1957." The Birmingham News

External links