July 23 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2018: Tuscaloosa's Union Furniture Co. closed.
- 2010: Sloss: Industry to Art premiered at Sloss Furnaces.
- 2007: The 2,000-foot extension of runway 6-24 at Birmingham International Airport was dedicated.
- 1976: KISS played Rickwood Field during their "Destroyer" tour.
- 1963: The Birmingham City Council unanimously repealed the city's segregation ordinances and reopened city parks.
- 1958: Maureen Brumbeloe became the Birmingham Police Department's first uniformed female officer.
- 1956: The new Alabama Farmers Market opened on Finley Avenue.
- 1904: The Whitman Sisters' New Orleans Troubadours performed before an integrated white and African-American audience at the Jefferson Theatre.
- 1897: The City Paper Company was founded.
- 1882: Reverend James Hall married Emma Gardner in Montevallo.
- 1982: Alabama Crimson Tide basketball and NBA player Gerald Wallace was born in Childersburg.
- 1974: Respiratory therapist and professional bass fisherman Kyle Mabrey was born.
- 1952: Anti-government activist Mike Vanderboegh was born in St Joseph, Michigan.
- 1948: Alabama State Representative Mary Moore was born in Birmingham.
- 1947: Former Birmingham City Council president and Jefferson County Commission member John Katopodis was born in Birmingham.
- 1916: Pharmacist D. O. McClusky, Jr was born.
- 2020: Community activist Ouida Fritschi died.
- 2018: Former U.S. Senator Maryon Allen died.
- 2009: Aviator Camille Baird died.
- 1998: Theologian and former Vanderbilt chancellor Harvie Branscomb died.
- 1974: Architect Jack B. Smith died.
- 1952: Former Presbyterian pastor and insurance salesman Sterling Foster died in North Carolina.
- 1922: Former Mayor of Birmingham B. A. Thompson died.
- 2006: Birmingham Barons pitcher Tyler Lumsden was traded to the Kansas City Royals.
- 2005: Arkansas Twisters 55 - Birmingham Steeldogs 42 at the BJCC arena.
- 1964: 1964 Birmingham Barons star Bert Campaneris made his Major League debut.
- 1941: Satchel Paige was injured when a pitch hit him in the left arm.