Boshell Diabetes Building
The Buris R. Boshell Diabetes Research and Education Building (BDB), originally the Diabetes Research and Education Building, is a facility used by the UAB School of Medicine, located at 1808 7th Avenue South, on the northeast corner of 18th Street South. The main ground-level entrance to the building is located in the alley south of the UAB Hospital West Pavilion.
Ground was broken for the 8-story stucco-clad building on July 1, 1970. It was dedicated on March 7, 1973. The first patients were admitted to the UAB Diabetes Hospital on the ground floor on July 8 of that year, and an official dedication for the hospital was held on December 7-9. The building was renamed in honor of former UAB Diabetes Hospital director Buris Boshell on November 13, 1985.