The building served as the site of Birmingham High School from 1890 to 1906. Students moved there from rented rooms in the Wright Building on the northeast corner of 19th Street and 3rd Avenue North. The Enslen building served the school until a new building was completed at 2316 7th Avenue North in February 1906.
The building also housed the Birmingham Public Library when it was reorganized in 1891 under the auspices of the Birmingham Board of Education. It moved to the 4th floor of the new Birmingham City Hall in 1903.
- "Fumes, Not the Crowds, Used to Bother Students" (May 28, 1958) Birmingham Post-Herald - via Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections