The project was developed on the site of the former Molton Hotel for Johnson-Rast & Hays, with financing from The Equitable Life Assurance Society. Originally proposed as a 25-story tower in 1979, the shorter, pink-granite clad building designed Giattina, Fisher & Company was completed in 1982. Estimates of the cost of construction ranged from $14.5 million to $28 million. The developers contracted with the Birmingham Parking Authority for 350 reserved spaces in the 408-space BPA Deck 5, which opened in 1983.
On July 19, 2013 the building was sold by FCB, LLC to the Allegiance Realty Corp. of Charlotte, North Carolina. They immediately planned $3-5 million in renovations to lobbies, elevators and landscaping. PKA Architects designed the renovations, which were contracted to Rives Construction.
In 2016 the building was purchased by a partnership headed by the Daniel Corporation, which moved its 50-employee headquarters offices there from 3660 Grandview Parkway. In 2020 the partnership sued the Birmingham Parking Authority for not providing access cards for the full allotment of reserved spaces. The parties reached a settlement in October.
- Birmingham Business Alliance
- REV Birmingham
- Christian & Small attorneys
- BBVA Compass
- Cushman & Wakefield/EGS Commercial Real Estate
- Hale, Sides & Akins
- Norman, Wood, Kendrick & Turner
- Jones Walker
- Martin Grace Benefit Group (2002-2012)
- Daniel Corporation (2016-)
- Suite 1200: Spain & Gillon (2017-)
- Poe, Ryan (February 10, 2012) "Birmingham’s Financial Center on market for $28M." Birmingham Business Journal
- Tomberlin, Michael (July 22, 2013) "Birmingham's Financial Center gets new owner, planned upgrades." The Birmingham News
- Godwin, Brent (September 1, 2016) "Daniel Corp. buying downtown tower, moving HQ to city center." Birmingham Business Journal
- Thornton, William (February 6, 2020) "Birmingham Financial Center files suit against parking authority." The Birmingham News
- Coker, Angel (October 29, 2020) "Financial Center, Parking Authority settle lawsuit over downtown deck." Birmingham Business Journal
- Financial Center at Emporis.com