Highland Plaza

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the shopping center, for the nearby condominium tower, see Highland Plaza Apartments.
Highland Plaza in the 1950s

Highland Plaza (originally Plaza Stores) is a 24,000 square-foot shopping center on the 2200 block of Highland Avenue, between 22nd Street South and 11th Court South. The Art Deco-style strip was designed by James Gatling for Shepherd-Sloss Realty, and opened in 1938.

The south end of the building includes a lower-level area, originally the home of Caddell Creamery, and later used by Upside-Down Plaza before being renovated for the Hot and Hot Fish Club restaurant.

The shopping center was damaged by fire in the 1970s.

In 2018 Highland Plaza was purchased by 22nd Street Partners LLC, an affiliate of Daniel Corporation, for $4.75 million. The partners also bought two adjoining properties behind the shopping center, representing a combined 2.5 acres stretching to Ireland Way.



  • Godwin, Brent (January 30, 2018) "Prominent Highland Avenue shopping center bought by entity connected to Daniel Corp." Birmingham Business Journal