List of Birmingham homicides in 1979
This is a List of Birmingham homicides in 1979. It includes homicide cases occuring within the city limits during the calendar year. Note that not all homicides are ultimately ruled to be murder in courts of law.
Birmingham had 93 homicides in 1979.
- June 22: Bonita Carter, 20, was shot by police officer George Sands during a gun battle that followed a convenience store robbery in Kingston. Carter had not been involved in the robbery, but her shooting was ruled justified, provoking mass demonstrations and opening the door for police reform and the election of the city's first black mayor that Fall.
- Fletcher Handley, a disabled man killed by Willie Clisby, believed to have been mentally deficient, who was later executed for the murder.
- Albert Ballard, a Birmingham Police Sergeant shot by Josephus Anderson during questioning about a bank robbery.
 See also
- Robinson, Carol (August 9, 2005) "Birmingham murder rate up 60% so far in '05". Birmingham News.
- Bryant, Joseph D. (January 10, 2006) "Birmingham's Kincaid lifts Taser ban." Birmingham News.
- Robinson, Carol (September 19, 2006) "City's violent crimes up 5.8%." Birmingham News.