The Southern Club was a private club located on the corner of 20th Street and 5th Avenue North. The club's three-story building was designed by Charles and Harry Wheelock and constructed in the 1890s. The club dissolved in the wake of the 1929 stock market crash and closed for good in 1931. After that the building housed various government offices. From 1943 to 1967 it housed the Birmingham Red Cross. It was demolished in 1967 to make way for the AmSouth-Sonat Tower.