First Baptist Church of Tuscaloosa

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

First Baptist Church of Tuscaloosa is a Baptist church located at 721 Greensboro Avenue in Tuscaloosa. The current paster is Gil McKee. The church was organized in 1818 as Ebenezer Baptist Church, which was changed to Tuscaloosa Baptist Church in 1832.

Before the Civil War, a large portion of the congregation were enslaved African Americans. Following emancipation, most of them left to establish the First African Baptist Church in 1866. The church was reorganized with a board of trustees in the early 1880s and began construction of the first building at their present location. The church building, which was dedicated in 1884, was designed by J. R. Ryan of Chattanooga, Tennessee. It housed the congregation's first indoor baptismal pool. Before then, new members were baptized in the Black Warrior River.

A new sanctuary was completed, to designs by Charles McCauley, in 1958. The design incorporated the old stained-glass windows, surrounded by new glass borders to fill the larger openings in the new building.

Pastors

References

External links