Woolworth's, originally the F. W. Woolworth Co., was a discount variety store chain founded in 1879 by Frank. W. Woolworth in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. It was the first "five and dime" operations, and one of the first retail chains to put its goods in front of customers to select for themselves, rather than having to present a list to a sales clerk.
The retailer was very successful, and its name was spread across the country through deals with several affiliated chain operators. Over time, the stores got larger and larger and incorporated lunch counters.
The chain went out of business in the United States in 1997.
Birmingham area locations
- 1920 2nd Avenue North
- Woolworth Building, 1901 3rd Avenue North (built 1939, closed 1988)
- 1028 20th Street South, 1925–1961
- 219 19th Street North (1957)
- 9162 4th Avenue South (1957)
- Tuscaloosa, 1932– (now Café Venice)
- Roebuck Shopping Plaza (1957-)
- Vestavia Hills Shopping Center, 1958–
- 1006 20th Street South, 1961–
- Western Hills Mall, 1970–
- 2237 Bessemer Road