Avondale Masonic Temple
The Avondale Masonic Temple is a two-story building on the northeast corner of 41st Street and 2nd Avenue South in Avondale's commercial district. It was constructed in 1909 by the Avondale Lodge No. 476 Free & Accepted Masons. It was designed by architect David O. Whillden and built for $6,000.
It was designed to be shared with a ground floor retail tenant, originally the Avondale Station Post Office. Two prominent semi-circular limestone arched doorways on the front facade flanked a large show window. The right-hand archway, for the ground floor, led to a door recess that could also be entered from the 2nd Avenue side. The left-hand arch, with a carved masonic compass, accessed a stairway to the meeting room above.
The lodge's meeting room also featured large glazed openings, tied together at the top with a soldier course of brick set in relief. The Lodge's designation was set into a framed panel under a shallow false gable in the roof pediment. A cornerstone adjacent to the lodge door indicates the stamp of Grand Master H. S. D. Mallory.