The 50-foot by 140-foot one-story brick building was developed by the Ramsay-McCormack Development Company, made up of Erskine Ramsay and the estate of G. B. McCormack, who were then also erecting the 10-story Ramsay-McCormack Building a block away. The J. F. Holly Construction Co. won the contract for the project.
The Mediterranean-style design with its prominent octagonal corner turret was designed by David O. Whilldin. The floors were mosaic tile and the walls were ornately-painted plaster. The lobby featured three large chandeliers. The ground floor included rentable shop spaces.
The theatre was part of the Rialto Theatres Inc. chain and was managed by Nelson Hampton in 1929 and again after 1935. Screenings were accompanied by music from a Robert Morton theatre organ played by Della Orr.
- "Birmingham Construction" (March 25, 1927) The Dixie Manufacturer Vol. 16, No. 6, p. 22 - via Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections
- Schneider, David B. (2009) "Downtown Ensley and Tuxedo Junction: An Introductory History" Birmingham: City of Birmingham and Main Street Birmingham
- Shelby, Thomas Mark (2009) D. O. Whilldin: Alabama Architect. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society ISBN 0943994330
- Natta, André (March 28, 2014) "A new sign for a converted historic building in Ensley" The Terminal
- Ensley Theatre at cinematreasures.org