Going Elementary School
|Going Elementary School|
|District||Birmingham City Schools|
|Location||1015 North Martinwood Drive, (map)|
Clarence J. Going Elementary School was an elementary school in the Birmingham City Schools system located at 1015 North Martinwood Drive in the Martinwood subdivision in the northern part of Birmingham's Huffman neighborhood. It is named for former assistant superintendent Clarence Going.
The school was built in 1966 to relieve overcrowding at the then 8-year-old Smith K-8 School and at Huffman Elementary School which had been annexed into the city in 1954. The 14-classroom building was designed as four hexagonal pavilions, connected by covered walkways. It was built for $302,202. Another wing, approved in 1967, added two more hexagonal pieces containing six more classrooms and a physical education area.
Under the school consolidation plan proposed by acting superintendent Barbara Allen and approved by the Board, Going Elementary closed in the Summer of 2011 with students transferring to Wright Elementary School.