Guthrie's is a fast-food chain specializing in "golden fried" fried chicken fingers.
The first Guthrie's Restaurant was a full service location founded by Hal and Melissa Guthrie in 1965 in Haleyville on the Marion and Winston County line. They added fried chicken fingers to the menu in 1978, accompanied by a signature sauce created by then 10-year old Hud Guthrie.
Hud's older brother, Chris, led the expansion of the chain and the focus on chicken fingers and their signature dipping sauce. The company's first fast-food location in Auburn, opened in 1982, was a smash hit and led to additional locations, mainly in college towns. Graduates fueled the expansion of the chain to larger metropolitan areas. The family began selling franchises in 2005 and now counts more than 50 locations.
A typical Guthrie's location has a minimalist menu, offering chicken fingers on a standard plate with french fries, toast and coleslaw. Some locations also serve salads or breakfast biscuits. Most locations feature carpeted dining areas and a large aquarium with tropical fish.
In early 2008 10 Guthrie's restaurants owned by Hud Guthrie, Jr, were bought out of insolvency by WSKG Restaurant Investors, a 7-member partnership. The group plans to double the number of locations to 20 in the next three years and to add grilled chicken sandwiches and salads to the menu. Five of the 10 locations sold are in the Birmingham area. Another, near the UAB campus, is owned by another franchisee.
Birmingham area locations
- 1801 4th Avenue South, UAB 4th Avenue Parking Deck
- 1548 Montclair Road, Birmingham
- 1817 Montgomery Highway, Hoover
- 613 Old Montgomery Highway, Vestavia Hills
- 4505 Riverview Parkway, Inverness
- Hubbard, Russell (January 13, 2008) "Birminham's Guthrie's restaurants have new owners." [sic] Birmingham News.
- Guthrie's website