Handley Memorial Presbyterian Church

From Bhamwiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Handley Memorial Presbyterian Church originally Central Presbyterian Church, was a Presbyterian church founded in 1890 as an offshoot of First Presbyterian Church. It originally met in O'Brien's Opera House before moving into its own new building at 1724 5th Avenue North, a site later used by Happy John Bollas and now occupied by Birmingham Parking Authority Deck 7.

After founding pastor Luman Handley died in November 1910, the church was renamed in his memory. In 1915 the congregation merged with the former Westminster Presbyterian Church in Norwood. The combined churches began planning to construct a new building at the corner of 25th Street and 13th Avenue North in Druid Hills. Before the church building was completed, Central Presbyterian met at Temple Emanu-El at the invitation of Samuel Ullman.

In 1964 then-pastor David Singleton initiated a Norwood Community Ministry as an outreach to residents of the neighborhood. Some members objected to what they saw as an attempt to racially integrate the church.

The church building was heavily damaged by a fire on November 21, 1968.