Slag Heap Brewing Company
Slag Heap Brewing Company is a brewery and tap room located in a former ice manufacturing facility at 227 Main Street, at the corner of Morrow Avenue in downtown Trussville. It opened to the public on September 1, 2018.
Long-time home brewer Joe Meadows trademarked the name of his business in 2015 and incorporated it in 2016. It is named for the "Slagheap Village" housing project constructed by the New Deal Resettlement Administration in the 1930s. Meadows entered his products into various tasting competitions, winning a People's Choice Award at the Heart of Dixie Open hosted by Good People Brewing Company in 2016 and a first place prize at the April 2017 Masters of the Brewniverse, hosted by AlaBev at Straight to Ale in Huntsville. The latter prize included a limited-run retail batch of Meadow's recipe at Straight to Ale.
The Trussville City Council approved a rezoning of the Main Street parcel for use as a brewery and tap room in March 2017. In October of that year, former Avondale Brewing Company partner Coby Lake announced his involvement in the development of the brewery as part of a large-scale public/private redevelopment of downtown Trussville. The tap room opened on Labor Day weekend, September 1, 2018. Lake later helped develop the Trussville Entertainment District directly behind Slag Heap, and opened Ferus Artisan Ales in the district.
- Weizenbock, German ale
- At My Wits End, White IPA
- Irish Red Ale
- Double IPA
- Pale Ale
- English Pub beer (nitrogenated)
- Buttram, Scott (March 10, 2017) "Downtown Trussville’s first craft beer brewery to go before Planning and Zoning." Trussville Tribune
- Leopard, Sage (May 18, 2017) "On tap" Cahaba Sun
- "Trussville craft beer brewery receives fed approval, first beer headed for store shelves" (June 11, 2017)
- Edgemon, Erin (October 19, 2017) "Trussville downtown revitalization: Melt, Common House, brewery, pavilion planned." The Birmingham News
- Friday, Tanna (August 25, 2018) "Slag Heap Brewing Co. scheduled to open Labor Day weekend." Trussville Tribune
- Slag Heap Brewing Company website