Storyteller Overland is a manufacturer of MODE 4x4 class B "adventure van" recreational vehicles built on the Mercedes Sprinter and Ford Transit consumer vehicles. The company is headed by Jeffrey Hunter and was affiliated with Matthew McSweeney's McSweeney Holdings.
McSweeney, the son of Southern Comfort Conversions founder Rod McSweeney, opened his own custom conversion business in 2009 as MCM Custom Vehicles, which was renamed "Southern Comfort Automotive", now "SCA Performance".
In 2012, with Hunter as its head, McSweeney Designs began producing customized luxury vehicles ("Autocraft") and armored luxury vehicles ("Armorcraft") for corporate and government clients. McSweeney Designs also produced luxury marine and aircraft interiors in its "Luxecraft" department, and custom-tuned racing vehicles through its "Racecraft" department. Its in-house "Artifex Studio" worked with clients to develop customized, hand-crafted fittings and finishes for all of its vehicles.
The company, which employed Nicholas Saban Jr, son of the Alabama Crimson Tide football coach, as head of its G-Class unit, produced a limited-edition of fifteen "Nick Saban Signature Series" Mercedes Sprinters in 2015. The $200,000 luxury vans were sold through Mercedes-Benz of Birmingham, in which Coach Saban is a partner.
Hunter launched the Storyteller Overland brand in November 2018 with more than $3 million in capital. The company opened a 20,000 square-foot production plant at 109 West Park Drive in Oxmoor Valley in 2019. It purchased the 80,000 square-foot former American Printing Co. building at 428 Industrial Lane in 2021.
In November 2021 Storyteller Overland acquired the Portland, Oregon-based GoCamp RV rental platform. Mercedes-Benz of Birmingham is the local dealer for MODE vans.
- Kent, Dawn (March 27, 2011) "Back in the black: MCM rebuilds its vehicle rebuilding business." The Birmingham News
- Azok, Dawn Kent (November 3, 2014) "Alabama firm builds armored, luxury rides for customers in world's conflict-ridden regions." The Birmingham News
- Azok, Dawn Kent (September 10, 2015) "Nick Saban rolls out limited edition $200K Benz luxury van." The Birmingham News
- Patchen, Tyler (August 8, 2019) "New RV manufacturer ramping up in Birmingham." Birmingham Business Journal
- Van der Bijl, Hanno (April 6, 2021) "Entity with ties to RV manufacturer buys site near Red Mountain Park for $2.7M." Birmingham Business Journal
- Patchen, Tyler (November 15, 2021) "Storyteller Overland acquires Oregon-based boutique camper van rental service GoCamp." Birmingham Business Journal
- Embry, Neal (October 2022) "New space brings new hopes for Storyteller Overland." Iron City Ink
- Storyteller Overland website