Strada Professional Services
Strada Professional Services is a company founded in 2006 by Edmond Watters, Jeff Pitts and Roger Bass. Pitts, a former campaign manager for Larry Langford and executive with Matrix LLC, claims to have left the company as soon as it was incorporated.
The company, which has offices at 1500 1st Avenue North in Birmingham's Innovation Depot, describes itself as a minority-owned firm providing transportation, utility planning, design, program management, facility and construction management services. Locally, Strada has contracted with Jefferson County and the City of Birmingham to provide various services, which are often subcontracted to third-parties.
- In 2006 Strada was paid $100,000 in a no-bid contract with Jefferson County to oversee camera inspections of storm drains. InfraMetrix of Florida performed the work, which involved approximately 1% of the system's basins and pipes.
- In 2006 Strada was paid $85,000 in a no-bid contract with Jefferson County to close underground storage tanks at Ketona.
- From June 2013 to April 2014 Strada was paid $633,325 in various contracts to inspect and map storm sewers for the City of Birmingham.
- In April 2014, Strada was awarded a $185,500 contract from the City of Birmingham to conduct feasibility studies for projects related to expanding Amtrak service, upgrading Birmingport's shipping facilities, and hosting a transportation conference in the city.
- The Birmingham-Jefferson County Port Authority used Strada to provide "technical expertise". The authority voted in August 2018 to terminate the contract.
- The City of Birmingham spent $753,220 on a "STRADA Transportation Initiative" in Fiscal Year 2016. The city dropped the firm as a contractor for its Bus Rapid Transit service in early Summer 2018.
- Bryant, Joseph D. (April 30, 2014) "Birmingham council members question need, legitimacy of $185,000 transportation consultant contract." The Birmingham News
- Archibald, John (May 6, 2014) "Connections still count most at Birmingham City Hall." The Birmingham News
- Archibald, John (August 10, 2018) "After criminal conspiracy in Birmingham: a purge." The Birmingham News
- Strada Professional Services website