Andrew Marre

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Andrew Marre (died c. 1896) was a merchant and cotton buyer. He was the first to purchase a Birmingham city lot at the June 1, 1871 auction held by the Elyton Land Company.

Major Marre came to Jones Valley from New Orleans, Louisiana and purchased his a 50-foot by 100-foot lot on the northeast corner of 1st Avenue North and 19th Street for $100. He constructed a two-story stone building there to house his Marre & Allen general store. He also built a house on the southwest corner of 19th Street and Avenue E on the south side of the Railroad Reservation.

Marre was appointed to the first Birmingham Board of Aldermen in the administration of Robert Henley. He was not elected to continue in that post in the 1873 election.

Marre was a founding member of the Birmingham Lodge No. 384 of Free and Accepted Masons in December 1871 and a director of the Birmingham Insurance Company, organized in 1884.

In 1878 Marre bought a lot on the corner of 18th Street and 2nd Avenue South for a new Andrew Marre residence, then left town in February for several weeks to visit his wife in Bryan, Ohio.

References