Major Marre came to Jones Valley from New Orleans, Louisiana and purchased his a 50-foot by 100-foot lot on the northeast corner of 1st Avenue North and 19th Street for $100. He constructed a two-story stone building there to house his Marre & Allen general store. He also built a house on the southwest corner of 19th Street and Avenue E on the south side of the Railroad Reservation.
- "Personal" (February 20, 1878) Birmingham Iron Age
- City Directory of Birmingham and Gazetteer of Surrounding Section for 1884-5 (1884) Volume II. Atlanta, Georgia: Interstate Directory Company
- DuBose, John Witherspoon (1886) The Mineral Wealth of Alabama and Birmingham Illustrated. Birmingham: N. T. Green & Co.
- Dubose, John Witherspoon (1887) Jefferson County and Birmingham, Alabama: Historical and Biographical Birmingham: Teeple & Smith, Publishers; Caldwell Printing Works.
- Caldwell, Henry M. (1892) History of the Elyton Land Company and Birmingham, Alabama. Birmingham: Elyton Land Company
- Cruikshank, George H. (1920) History of Birmingham and Its Environs: A Narrative Account of Their Historical Progress, Their People, and Their Principal Interests. 2 volumes. Chicago, Illinois: Lewis Publishing Company.
- Alabama Writers Project (1941) Alabama: a Guide to the Deep South. Alabama State Planning Commission/Works Progress Administration