Birmingham Board of Aldermen

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The City of Birmingham was incorporated by the State of Alabama on December 19, 1871. The eight members of the Board of Aldermen were elected with each mayor to a term of two years. Each of the city's four wards elected two aldermen to the board. The board was sometimes referred to as the City Council. In 1887 (at least), the board met every second Wednesday evening in the Roden Block at 2nd Avenue North and 20th Street. In 1895, to reflect the increased size and population of the city, the Board was expanded to 18 members.

1871

The first Board of Aldermen, serving in the administration of Mayor Robert H. Henley was nominated by a group of property owners called together by James Powell. Those names were sent to Governor Robert Lindsay who issued commissions by his order.

These eight were nominated for the first Board:

These have also been listed as serving in Henley's administration:

1873

The second board, serving under Mayor James Powell, was elected in the 1872 Birmingham municipal election and sworn into office on the first Monday of January 1873. The Board of Aldermen included James Luckie, Mortimer Jordan Jr, William Morris, Benjamin Roden, John A. Milner, James O'Connor, Christian Enslen, and Frank P. O'Brien.

O'Brien resigned not long afterward and his seat was filled by Charles Linn.

1875

Mayor William H. Morris served two terms and had the service of the same group of aldermen in both. These were Christian Enslen, Thomas Y. Cain, James A. Curry, James W. Butler, Thomas Jeffers, Charles Linn, M. C. Wiley and George W. Allen.

J. B. Webb remained in the administration as City Marshal. John Jolly was City Attorney, P. H. Carpenter was City Clerk, and James Francis was City Treasurer.

Morris resigned as Mayor in 1878 and the Aldermen elected Elyton Land Company president Henry M. Caldwell to serve his unexpired term.

1878

The first administration of Thomas Jeffers included Benjamin F. Roden, George W. Allen, Willliam A. Smith, Mortimer Jordan Jr, Jule Lockwood, and Frank Nabers.

In Jeffers' second term Jordan, Lockwood and Nabers remained and were joined by C. L. Hardman, T. G. Paine, B. A. Thompson, C. C. Truss, and C. L. Wadsworth.

Others on the Board included E. V. Gregory, W. C. Steward, W. P. Brewer, A. C. Oxford, Isaac R. Hochstadter, J. H. Dargin, B. A. Thompson, W. S. Sykes, F. L. Wadsworth, James Going, and William Hood.

Frank Gazwell or Frank Gosnell and C. L. Hardman or C. T. Hardeman are members whose names are reported inconsistently.

1882

The first of three administrations headed by Judge A. O. Lane brought together the following aldermen: C. P. Williamson, Benjamin F. Roden, Alonzo S. Elliott, John Ellis, T. L. Hudgins, James O'Connor, Frank V. Evans (4th Ward), and John Sheldon, along with Paule Earle, William Rushton Sr, William Brown, W. K. Rosser, and Charles F. Wheelock.

1884

In A. O. Lane's second administration, only Berney was re-elected. Joining him were Isaac Hochstadter (3rd Ward), N. R. Rosser, James F. Smith, James Going, Fred Sloss, and E. V. Gregory.

1st Ward: E. V. Gregory & J. B. Cobbs 2nd Ward: W. K. Rosser & Alonzo S. Elliott 3rd Ward: C. Perkins & Isaac Hochstadter 4th Ward: P. H. Earle & Frank V. Evans

1886

In A. O. Lane's third administration, Hochstadter stayed on and was joined by William Walker Jr (4th Ward), E. W. Linn (2nd Ward), D. M. Drennen (3rd Ward), James O'Connor (4th Ward), E. J. Smyer (3rd Ward), R. W. Whilden, John Colley (1st Ward), and W. H. Eastman (2nd Ward).

Colley, Warnock and Enslen served on the cemetery committee. Warnock, Enslen and Hochstadter served on the finance and accounts committee. Eastman, Hochstadter and Drennen served on the fire committee. Enslen, Drennen and O'Connor served on the free schools committee. Smyer, Colley and Eastman served on the gas committee. Enslen and O'Connor served on the judiciary committee. Hochstadter, Colley and Smyer served on the markets committee. Drennen, Hochstadter and O'Connor served on the miscellaneous committee, O'Connor, Smyer and Colley served on the street improvements committee. Drennen, Warnock and Smyer served on the street railroads committee. And Eastman, Hochstadter and Drennen served on the water works committee.

1888

1890

1892

1894

1896

Mayor: Frank Evans

Aldermen:

1899

Mayor: Mel Drennen

Aldermen:

1901

Mayor: Mel Drennen Aldermen:

1903

Mayor: Mel Drennen Aldermen:

1905

Mayor: George Ward

Aldermen:

1907

Mayor: George Ward

1909

Mayor: Frank P. O'Brien

1910

The Mayor-Aldermen system was replaced by the Birmingham City Commission, considered to be a more progressive and businesslike form of government, in 1911.

References



Preceded by:
none
Legislative Body for the City of Birmingham
1871 - 1911
Succeeded by:
Birmingham City Commission