August 14 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2009: Colonial Bank failed.
- 2009: A new Jefferson County Occupational Tax was signed into law.
- 2008: Long-time Bessemer municipal judge Jackie McDougal died.
- 2008: Lou's Pub owner Lou Zaden died.
- 2007: Bishop Robert Baker was tapped to head the Catholic Diocese of Birmingham.
- 2006: Adventurer and mountain climber Robert Davis III died while descending Mount Kenya.
- 1996: Clay-Chalkville High School and the new location of Shades Valley High School opened.
- 1984: Baseball player Spud Davis died.
- 1971: 9-11 victim and Birmingham native Lynn Edwards Angell married her husband David.
- 1955: Satchel Paige signed a contract to play for the Greensboro Patriots of the Carolina League.
- 1930: Independent Presbyterian Church choirmaster Joseph Schreiber was born in New Albany, Indiana
- 1906: Robert Terrell founded the Bank of Alabama in Ensley.
- 1901: The cornerstone of Ensley School was laid.