Birmingham Greyhound Station

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
From the southeast in October 2010.

The Birmingham Greyhound Station is a bus terminal constructed by Southeastern Greyhound Lines in 1950. It is located on what had been a vacant parcel on the 700 block of 19th Street North facing Birmingham City Hall adjacent to the former terminal. It was designed to accommodate 30 buses operated by Southeastern Greyhound, Teche-Greyhound, Dixie Greyhound and Alabama Coaches.

Initially planned in 1941, the project was delayed by World War II. The streamlined "moderne"-style structure was constructed by Brice Building Company for $750,000.

On May 15, 1961, United States Attorney General Robert Kennedy unsuccessfully pleaded with station manager George Cruit to find a driver willing to take stranded Freedom Riders on to Montgomery. The transcript of the telephone conversation, released to the media, fueled suspicions that Kennedy had instigated the demonstrations.

References

Locate with
Google Maps