Built in 1909, the building was the fourth steel-frame "skyscraper" erected in Birmingham. It was financed by John G. Farley, a merchant from Benton in Lowndes County. Architects Miller, Martin & Lewis created a graceful composition of dark red brick arches and light-colored spandrels, less severe than the tall buildings that preceded it.
The building's projecting cornice was removed when the 9th story was added.
- 20th Street North
- 220: New York Model Hat Shop (1922), Nisley Co. (1926), Eisley Beautiful Shoes (c. 1929), Russell Stover Candies
- 222-224: Shaw & Davin equipment dealers, Florsheim Shoes (1964), Classic Basket
- Contact Lens Clinic (1960s)
- Onlie Barber Shop (1909)
- Hill Shoe Co. (1909)
- 3rd Avenue North:
- 1925: Thom McAn Shoes (1929), Julie Ann Hat Shop (1964), Elaine's boutique (2019)
- 1927: Cinderella Shoe Shop (1925-1929), The Adorable Shop (1964), The Barbie Shop beauty salon (2016-)
- 1929: building entrance
- 1931-1933: Bromberg & Co. jewelers (1922), Liggett's Drug Store (1924-1940), Craig's Shoes (1964), The Cochran Firm (2015-)
- White, Marjorie Longenecker (1977) Downtown Birmingham: Architectural and Historical Walking Tour Guide. Birmingham: Birmingham Historical Society.
- Farley Building on Emporis.com