Weld for Birmingham was a weekly community newspaper and website founded in 2011 by Mark Kelly and Kyle Whitmire. Its stated mission was to provide high quality journalism as a service to advertisers, and to promote positive change in the Birmingham area.
Brock resigned in May 2012. In July of that year, WELD partnered with Birmingham 365 to publish event listings online. Whitmire, the paper's "new media editor", and staff writer Madison Underwood were hired away by the Alabama Media Group, content provider to The Birmingham News and al.com. Jesse Chambers succeeded Brock as interim editor until the hiring of Nick Patterson. Heather Milam was the paper's general manager.
Weld ceased publication of its print edition on July 13, 2017. It was announced at the time that updates to the website would continue and that suspension of publication was expected to be temporary, but no further posts were made through mid-August. Patterson was hired as digital content coordinator for The Birmingham Times on August 16.
- "Brock leaves Weld for Birmingham, Chambers named interim editor" (May 19, 2012) Weld for Birmingham
- Kelly, Mark (June 21, 2012) "Riding the Wave". Weld
- Kelly, Mark (January 20, 2013) "The start of something big" Weld
- Poe, Kelly (July 12, 2017) "Weld Birmingham suspends print publication." The Birmingham News
- Weld for Birmingham website