Alley's Discount Drugs is a drugstore currently located at 633 Tuscaloosa Avenue Southwest at the corner of Lomb Avenue near Baptist Medical Center Princeton in West End. It has been owned by Dave Alley since he graduated from Samford University's pharmacy school in 1984.
Alley's Drugs has roots in Birmingham dating back to 1927. In 1941 another store was operating at 5017 5th Avenue South in Woodlawn Heights. In the late 1950s Lehman Alley opened the family's "Store No. 5" in the Vestavia Hills Shopping Center. The store in West End is the last remaining Alley's.
In 2010, Alley filed a lawsuit to stop Birmingham from closing a three-block section of Tuscaloosa Avenue between 7th and 10th Avenues adjacent to the store, which the Birmingham City Council approved on August 3, 2010. A temporary injunction filed weeks after the council's action was granted. The 3 blocks are owned by the hospital, but will greatly reduce the amount of traffic around Alley's store, the lawsuit contends.
- Store No. 1,
- Store No. 2, 8301–8303 1st Avenue North, East Lake
- Store No. 3, 5017 5th Avenue South, Crestwood North
- Store No. 4,
- Store No. 5, Vestavia Hills Shopping Center
- Store No. 6,
- Store No. 7,
- Store No. 8, 7639 1st Avenue North, East Lake
- Polk's Birmingham (Jefferson County, Ala.) City Directory, including Fairfield and Homewood (1941) Richmond, Virginia: R. L. Polk & Co.
- Swant, Martin (May 18, 2011) "Pharmacy sues to block planned street closing." The Birmingham News