Belcher-Nixon building

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
The Belcher-Nixon building in March 2011

The Belcher-Nixon building at 1726-30 20th Street Ensley is a two-story brick building, the last commercial structure standing at the historic Tuxedo Junction in Ensley.

The building was constructed in 1922 as the office of dentist Andrew Belcher. It housed a meeting hall for the American Woodmen Union Relief Benevolent Society Camp #65 on the upper floor. Erskine Hawkins' 1939 song "Tuxedo Junction" was played at dances held in the hall.

Dentist and civil rights activist John Nixon took over Belcher's practice in 1951 and worked from the building until he retired in 1988. During the time he spent as President of the Alabama branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, he maintained the organization's state headquarters office in the building. The upper floor became the headquarters of United Service Associates, a facilities maintenance firm Nixon founded with A. G. Gaston and Arthur Shores.

Nixon died in December 1988, leaving the building to his wife, Margaret. The upper floor still houses United Service Associates while the ground floor, which housed the Tuxedo Variety Store and Black Pearl nightclub in later years. is vacant.

The Jefferson County Historical Commission and Alabama Historical Commission have recognized the building's importance. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 12, 2009. Main Street Birmingham is promoting a proposal to convert the building into a cultural center.

Occupants

References