Birmingham City Council District 6
Birmingham City Council District Six (District 6) is a legislative district of the City of Birmingham from which one representative on the Birmingham City Council and one member of the Birmingham Board of Education are elected. The city was divided into nine districts to preserve minority (white) representation following a court order issued in "Yarbrough et al v. City of Birmingham)" (1989). Prior to then councilors were elected at-large. The district is currently represented by Councilor Sheila Tyson.
District Six covers areas in western Birmingham. The district's borders were modified in 2013, adding sections of [Five Points South neighborhood]] and the UAB campus from District 5 and ceding some area just east of Green Springs Highway in Glen Iris to District 3.
Communities & Neighborhoods
Birmingham Board of Education members
- 1989-1993: Eddie Blankenship
- 1993-1997: Eddie Blankenship
- 1997-2001: Pat Alexander
- 2001-2005: Carole Smitherman
- 2005-2009: Carole Smitherman
- 2009-2013: Carole Smitherman (resigned 2012, seat left vacant)
- 2013-2017: Sheila Tyson
- 2017-2018: Sheila Tyson (resigned November 2018)
- 2018-2021: Crystal Smitherman (appointed December 2018)