Briarwood Christian School
|Briarwood Christian School|
|District||Presbyterian Church in America|
|Colors||Blue and white|
|Location||6255 Cahaba Valley Road|
Briarwood Christian School is a private school affiliated with Briarwood Presbyterian Church. It was founded as a kindergarten in 1964 and grew year by year, graduating its first class of seniors in 1973, and currently enrolling over 1,800 students in grades K through 12. Briarwood Christian School is divided into two campuses, with the K-6 school connected to the main church on Briarwood Way off Altadena Road in Vestavia Hills, and a "South Campus" for grades 7-12 at 6255 Cahaba Valley Road near Oak Mountain State Park.
Shawn Brower is principal of the senior high school (grades 9-12); Mike Sanders is principal of the junior high school (grades 7-8); Tasha Holliday is principal of the elementary grades (3-6) and Jennifer Bandy is principal of the early childhood program (K4-2nd grade).
The school is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
In February 2015 the high school campus was raided by the Shelby County Sheriff's Department as part of an investigation into the distribution of illegal drugs. In 2016 and 2017 the Alabama State Senate passed bills sponsored by Jabo Waggoner that would have allowed the church to staff its own police force with certified law enforcement officers. Neither bill was signed into law.
The Briarwood Christian School Lions athletic director is Jay Mathews. Since 1983 the school has competed as part of the Alabama High School Athletic Association, and won its 2A state championship in football that season. Since 1990 the Lions have won 34 AHSAA state championships across all sports, including the 3A football championship in 1998 and 1999 and the 5A football championship in 2003. Long-time head football coach Fred Yancey headed the Lions from 1990 to 2018.
- Brett Burton, founder of Primavera coffee roaster
- Tim Castille, NFL football player
- Simeon Castille, NFL football player
- Joe Craddock, Arkansas Razorbacks assistant coach
- Amanda Tapley, Miss Alabama 2008
- Barrett Trotter, Auburn quarterback and NFL assistant coach
- Cat Whitehill, US Women's National Soccer Team
- Archibald, John (April 17, 2015) "Drug bust at Briarwood Christian High School shrouded in secrecy." The Birmingham News
- Van der Bijl, Hanno & Virginia Watson (May 20, 2017) "Briarwood Presbyterian Church Police Department Bill Died for Lack of Action in the Legislature." BirminghamWatch
- "Briarwood Christian School (June 19, 2018) Wikipedia - accessed November 27, 2018